My name is Tim and I have 42 years "hands on experience" in the automotive industry. Diagnosing the problems correctly is the key. These are some of the tools in my arsenal.
Snap On Modis Edge 18.2
With powerhouse speed and performance, the MODIS Edge offers legacy reliability with the newest Edge features. A combo scanner and scope/graphing meter with exclusive SureTrack® Expert Information, it is slim, light, fast and strong. Booting in 5 seconds and sporting a big 8-inch display, find new Instant ID and quick links to common procedures to get you right down to business. Exclusive Guided Component Tests show how to test, where to connect and what to look for to eliminate guesswork. A new Vehicle System Report offers Global OBD-II Code and Readiness Monitor results for available systems delivering convincing estimates for greater customer confidence.
POWER PROBE III
An amazing tool to test electrical systems and components, circuits. (click on the picture for link to demonstration). I've had it for years and solved many electrical problems. Fuses, relays. It can provide 12 power to parts such as lights, power windows, wiper motors. Continuity. Tell you if the wire carries ohms, if the voltage is + or -.
A must have tool is you want to diagnose automotive electrical. This video doesn't even begin to show all the stuff it can do. I mean fuses, lights, volts, continuity.
Does anyone remember the Ford/Mercury's with the keypad door locks? Had a Lincoln Town Car lockout, knew the code but battery was dead. Can't open the hood to jump. I plugged the power probe into the lighter plug on my jump start box. Slid under the car far enough to reach the starter. Hooked the little clip to the starter case, put the end of the probe to the battery cable terminal to the starter. Pushed the 12v button. Owner punched in the door code. Door locks opened.
Understanding how a power window works makes testing motors easy. It only has 2 wires on the motor. What make it go up and down is by switching polarity. And the pp3 has the alligator clip on a separate lead plus the metal probe. hook up one to each lead. Then you can push the top of the button to send 12v through probe tip and negative to the clip. If you push the bottom of the switch it reverses the polarity! It goes up or down.
Snap On Thermal Imager
• Uses infrared imaging technology to reveal heat from friction, electrical resistance, pressure changes and more
• See precise detail with complete thermal images made up of 4,800 temperature zones
• Shows extreme temperatures from -4–840 °F (-20–450 °C)
• Detect problems all around the vehicle: brakes, heated seats, misfires, HVAC, worn bearings, belts, emission controls, and many more
• Exclusive database of guided tests shows dozens of valuable automotive applications
• Reference images showing normal components and failed components, so you know exactly what to look for
• Large 3-1/2" color screen so you don’t miss a clue; 320 x 240 resolution
• Just point it at any area of a vehicle and see detailed images of an object’s heat signature
• Color reference scale automatically calibrates, so you know the temperature of everything in the image
• Pull the trigger to capture images. Use saved images for reference and to create convincing repair orders
• Pistol-grip ergonomics for comfort and convenient access to tight locations
• Rechargeable high-power Lithium-ion battery with 4 hour charge life and convenient battery level indicator
• Image refresh rate: nine times per second
• Includes: Thermal Imager, MicroSD card, AC charger, USB cable, User guide
Can be used on any vehicle for any number of applications.